Master Carpenter for Cardinal Stage (Part Time)
Pay: $20/hr. Through June 30. Beginning July 1, part time salary of $26,500 to start.
Hours: 20-25 hours/week, M-F except Load-ins, which are 56 hours on average.
The master carpenter, under the supervision of the technical director, is responsible for the construction, rigging, installation, and strike of all productions built in the Cardinal Stage scenic studio. When scenery is produced by an outside contractor, the master carpenter works with the technical director and contractor to lead and execute scenic installation and strike.
In addition to their role as principal builder, the master carpenter acts as immediate supervisor for carpenters and stage hands during scenic construction, load-in, and strike. In the absence of the technical director, the master carpenter assumes the role of scenic lead. On a day-to-day basis, they execute scenic projects and assign work to other carpenters where applicable.
In cooperation with the technical director, the master carpenter is responsible for the maintenance and organization of shop tools and equipment.
- Act as primary builder for all scenery produced in-house.
- Supervise carpenters and stage hands in the construction, rigging, installation, and strike of theatrical scenery.
- Attend each load-in and strike.
- Work with technical director and other carpenters to maintain shop organization and equipment.
- In the absence of the technical director, act as primary scenic supervisor.
- Work with outside contractors to execute load-ins and strikes for all productions not produced in-house.
- Maintain safety standards in the shop, at load-ins, and strikes.
- Maintain communication with technical director regarding shop progress and needs.
- Thorough knowledge of theatrical construction techniques.
- Theatrical rigging.
- Organizational skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Interpersonal communication.
- Ability to accurately read and interpret design and construction drawings.
- Knowledge of worksite safety standards.
- Scenic painting.
- CAD drafting.
2 years’ experience in a supervisory position in a professional scene shop.
5 years’ experience as a carpenter in a professional scene shop.
Applicants with equivalent experience in other fields (such as construction, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
Cardinal Stage’s mission is to produce high-quality professional theater that engages audiences and strengthens the cultural, educational and economic vibrancy of South Central Indiana. We believe that greater diversity of viewpoints and lived experiences will result in a better, more relevant organization, and we encourage people across lines of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, religious tradition, and more to apply. For more information on our diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, visit cardinalstage.org/about-us/dei.
For more information or to apply, please email Corey Hollinger, Production Manager at [email protected] with the subject line “Master Carpenter Application.” Applicants may consider submitting any one (or more) of the following: a cover letter/letter of interest, resume, website, portfolio, personal profile, and/or video. Please include up-to-date contact information and references. Background check required. Accepting applications through May 15th.
Cardinal Stage is seeking Production Staff and Technicians in all production/technical theater fields for their current season. Technicians will work closely with Cardinal’s Production Manager and Technical Director in carpentry, painting, lighting, and wardrobe for productions.
The ideal candidates will have strong communication skills, ability to work quickly and have a positive attitude. Local applicants from the Bloomington/Indianapolis area or South-Central Indiana preferred, as housing for guest artists is limited. Click here to view this season’s production schedule.
Seeking Production Staff/Assistants/Technicians in the following areas:
- Carpenters (hourly)
- Electricians (hourly)
- Scenic Charges/Painters (hourly)
- Stitchers / Dressers (hourly/project-based)
- Stage Hands (hourly/project-based)
- Stage Management (project-based)
- Master Electricians (project-based)
- Production interns (hourly/credit)
For more information or to apply for the above positions, please email Corey Hollinger, Production Manager ([email protected]). Applicants may consider submitting any one (or more) of the following: a cover letter/letter of interest, resume, website, portfolio, personal profile, and/or video. Please include up-to-date contact information and references.
As Cardinal prepares for the remainder of its 21-22 Season, Artistic Director Kate Galvin and Production Manager Corey Hollinger are seeking to recruit new and diverse talent – directors, choreographers, musical directors, designers, and craftspeople. Creative team job openings for the 21-22 Season are listed HERE.