Technical Director – FULL TIME (Updated 9/8/21)
Cardinal Stage is seeking a full-time Technical Director. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, ability to work quickly and have a positive attitude. Start date flexible, on site beginning in October 2021, with some pre-production work in September (can be remote). Annual salary is $45,000 for this position, plus health benefits and PTO. Current Season includes 4 fully produced/in house built productions.
Cardinal Stage is a growing company with a new production facility housing a scene shop and rehearsal studio. In the coming months the organization will likely be taking on management responsibilities at the venue where they have been renting performance space for the last 15 years. In the next year, the company will scale up in the number of annual productions. Candidates with interest in opportunities to creatively influence and personalize workflow and systems within the department will thrive as we grow this organization.
The role of the Technical Director is to serve as a liaison between the scenic designer, the artistic staff, and the scene shop; and to make sure the technical equipment in the theater is functional, maintained, and safe. They are responsible for the supervision and coordination of the scene shop and all aspects of scenic engineering, budgeting, drafting, construction, load-in/out.
Duties and expectations are included but not limited to:
- Budget and material estimations
- Materials research and purchasing
- Scenic builds, including overseeing hourly carpenters and painters
- Coordinating load-ins/load-outs with Production Manager
- Well rounded in all technical aspects in theater.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and Vectorworks
- Knowledge and execution of proper scenic construction.
- Ability to create additional draftings as needed for carpenters to properly build scenic elements
- Ability to read Scenic Draftings, Light Plots, and Sound Plots to ensure the proper installation of all equipment and scenery.
- Appropriate rigging knowledge, for the safe install of scenic elements and other equipment
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure, meet deadlines, and solve problems as they arise
- Must be self-motivated with strong organizational skills; a positive attitude is essential.
- Advise and oversee upgrades to performance venues
- (a) Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Theater emphasis in Technical Direction, or higher. AND/OR
- (b) 2+ years of experience as a TD/ATD
- Must be able to safely pull, push, lift, and carry heavy items. Must be able to safely climb, and work from ladders.
Cardinal Stage produces work in venues that range from 80-500 seats. Cardinal Stage’s mission is to produce high-quality professional theater that engages audiences and strengthens the cultural, educational and economic vibrancy of South Central Indiana. We believe that greater diversity of viewpoints and lived experiences will result in a better, more relevant organization, and we encourage people across lines of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, ability, religious tradition, and more to apply.
For more information or to apply, please email Corey Hollinger, Production Manager ([email protected]) with the subject line “TD Application”. Applicants may consider submitting any one (or more) of the following: a cover letter/letter of interest, resume, website, portfolio, personal profile, and/or video. Please include up-to-date contact information and references.
21-22 Season Opportunities
Cardinal Stage (Bloomington, IN) is opening its “doors” to new talent! Cardinal’s mission is to produce high-quality professional theater that engages our audiences and strengthens the cultural, educational and economic vibrancy of South Central Indiana. As Cardinal gears up for the 21-22 Season, Artistic Director Kate Galvin and Production Manager Corey Hollinger are seeking to recruit new and diverse talent – directors, choreographers, musical directors, designers, craftspeople and technicians. Specific job openings for the 21-22 Season are listed HERE for creative team members and HERE for production staff.