Cardinal Stage Company and Bloomington Playwrights Project seek to hire a joint Technical Director for the 2018-2019 Season.
The role of the Technical Director is to serve as a liaison between the scenic designer, the artistic staff, the scene shop and to make sure the technical equipment in the theater is functional, maintained and safe. They are responsible for the supervision and coordination of the scene shop and all aspects of scenic engineering, budgeting, drafting, construction, load-in/out.
The TD will oversee builds, load-ins, and load-outs for both organizations from August 2018 through the end of May 2019. The TD will be supervised by Cardinal Stage’s Production Manager and BPP’s Artistic Director. The TD will be supported by a part-time Assistant Technical Director (ATD), and hourly labor during builds, load-ins and load-outs. Cardinal Stage’s 18-19 Season includes 4 Mainstage productions and 2 Cardinal for Kids productions. BPP’s season includes 5 Mainstage productions.
Cardinal Stage rents 3 different venues in downtown Bloomington, including a 500-seat proscenium theater, a 150 seat black box and an 80 seat black box. BPP produces all of its shows at their own venue, an 85 seat black box.
Duties included but not limited to:
- Budget and material estimations
- Materials research and purchasing
- Management of builds, sometimes overlapping
- Coordinating load-ins/load-outs
- Execution of scenic construction with support from carpenters
- Support of lighting and sound departments
- Creation of draftings as needed for carpenters to properly build scenic elements
- Supervision and scheduling of ATD
- In conjunction with the Production Manager hire and schedule additional carpentry staff and over hire crew.
- Identifying cost-saving opportunities for both organizations through reuse/recycling of materials throughout the season
- Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Theater emphasis in Technical Direction, or higher.
- 2+ years of experience as a TD/ATD at a Regional Theater. Experience working in a rep/summer stock environment strongly desirable.
- Well rounded experience in all technical aspects in theater, including strong knowledge of scenic construction practices.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and Vectorworks. Ability to read Scenic Draftings, Light Plots, and Sound Plots to ensure the proper installation of all equipment and scenery.
- Appropriate rigging knowledge, for the safe install of scenic elements and other equipment.
- Must be able to safely pull, push, lift, and carry heavy items. Must be able to safely climb, and work from, ladders.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure, meet deadlines, and solve problems as they arise.
- Must be a self-motivated with strong organizational skills; a positive attitude is essential.
The TD will be jointly hired on a seasonal 10-month contract (Aug. 2018-May 2019). Total salary will be $35,000, plus a monthly health stipend. Position could include scenic design opportunities for interested candidates.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to Joel Magill (Production Manager) – firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due by Friday, June 8th.
About Cardinal Stage Company:
Now in its 11th season, Cardinal’s mission is to advance professional theatre in Bloomington, IN. Cardinal aims to cultivate a lifelong passion for the stage by offering diverse, high-quality productions in tandem with outreach and educational initiatives that contribute to the cultural and economic vibrancy of South-Central Indiana. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Kate Galvin, Cardinal produces a well-rounded season of plays and musicals to serve the Mainstage and Cardinal for Kids audiences. Cardinal draws from local talent as well as guest artists from across the country to create world-class theater that is locally crafted in Bloomington. More information at www.cardinalstage.org.
About Bloomington Playwrights Project:
The Bloomington Playwrights Project (BPP) is the only professional theatre in the entire state of Indiana dedicated solely to new plays. In operation for 38 years, BPP serves both the Bloomington and national theatre community by working with talented playwrights, actors, and artists to develop high-level productions for our local patrons as well as the many audiences attending subsequent productions of scripts that originated here at the BPP. The staff and board of BPP advocates for playwrights and new plays and believe firmly that they are not only important but absolutely vital to the future of our art form. More information at www.newplays.org.
We’re continuously accepting submissions for set designers, costume designers, and lighting designers – as well as short-term hires for staffing productions, including assistant stage managers, wardrobe assistants, dressers, painters, carpenters, spot ops, etc.
If interested, please contact our Production Manager Joel Magill at email@example.com.